Many people who don’t play poker don’t understand what the big deal is. Why are lots of people constantly talking about this old-school card game?
Well, there are many reasons why poker has been popular for a long time, but in recent history, one of the variations of the game known as Texas Holdem’ seems to have taken over. There are an estimated 85 million regular poker players registered on online casino sites around the world. The most played game amongst this figure is Texas Holdem’. Unlike other games that involve skill at the casino whether it’s in a traditional brick and mortar casino or online, it doesn’t take long to understand how the game works. Although some find the terminology used in poker a bit off-putting at the start, the game itself is pretty straight forward.
The basics of the game are that every player is dealt two cards that only they can see and use. Another 5 cards are dealt at the center of the table and each player needs to pick their best 5 cards out of the seven they have in total. There are plenty of rounds of betting with each hand and often games can get tense and exciting. Keep in mind, poker is full of surprises.
If you have decided to start playing poker to make money, perhaps you are signing up for the wrong reasons. Yes, it’s true you can make a profit playing the game, but their likelihood is quite low. Studies show that 93% of poker players lose money playing the game in the long run, leaving only 7% of players that turn a profit.
Although learning the basics of poker is straightforward, it takes lots of practice and dedication to become a top player. Most professional poker players work as hard as athletes. They train, study, watch others compete, and network with other professionals. It is a highly competitive game, and it’s taken extremely seriously among the top players in the game.
Poker is a great game, but just like any other form of gambling, be prepared to lose. Gambling addiction is a serious problem and experts remind us to gamble responsibly.
If you want to be careful with your money playing traditional poker with friends or online you can play a game with a set “buy-in”. This way you are only risking the amount of money that it costs to “buy-in”. For example, the game you are entering is only $10 and the organizers don’t allow “buy-backs” then you can only lose $10 in total if you only play one game. For lots of people, this is an easy option as it won’t force them to break the bank. Not all poker games are like this, as others allow players to play with as much as they want.
Play Poker Online
Over recent years you can find all the different variations of poker games online. Here are a few of the reasons why some people love to online to play the game:
- 24/7: You can play poker at any time of the day or night from wherever you like. You don’t have to look your best to be welcomed into an online casino. People all around the globe find playing poker online entertaining, so there are opponents available whenever you feel like playing.
- Promotions: Websites like Blitz Poker offer new and existing members great deals and bonuses to players playing poker online. There is so much competition out there that online casinos often bombard players with promotions in an attempt to lure them to their site. These sorts of deals are mostly unheard of in a traditional casino. Online casinos have very little overheads in comparison to brick and mortar casinos, so that’s why they can afford such lucrative deals.
- Easy access: It seems like everybody has a device available that allows them to make an internet connection. Whether it’s a smart device or a computer, unlike other online gaming, you don’t need a powerful graphics card to enjoy playing online poker. You can log on and in a matter of seconds, you can be playing against others.
- Play for free: If you want to learn the ropes or perhaps you enjoy playing the game, there is an abundance of casinos and apps online that allow users to play for money that isn’t real. This is a great way to improve your skills without losing a penny.
- Make friends with others: Playing poker online can be a fantastic way to find others with similar interests. Most tables online allow players to communicate with each other through a message box. There are a lot of poker communities online, many of which organize competitions and tournaments.
If you don’t have a constant internet connection, there are plenty of apps available on the GooglePlay Store and the Apple Store that allow you to play poker offline. Although you won’t be playing against real people, these games tend to be great fun and they can help you boost your skills.
Something to do during the Pandemic
There was a massive increase in the number of people joining online casinos in 2020 than any other year. Since Covid-19 started spreading around the world, most traditional casinos were forced to close temporarily to help reduce the number of people contracting the virus. This was one of the number one reasons people started to create an account with online casinos.
Another reason why so many people started gambling online was to help them avoid feeling bored. With experts advising us to stay at home, many people found themselves idle in their house, with nothing to do especially during the weekends.
Playing poker online can be extremely exciting! Interacting with others, winning or losing money, and showing off your skills are some of the reasons why so many people are playing poker online during the pandemic.
People Play Poker to Improve Themselves
Improving any skill is a great way to help someone build confidence. Learning to play poker will not only win more hands, but it might help you read others in real-life situations too. Any good traditional poker player will tell you that they will need to analyze others during the game to determine whether or not they have a good hand. Whether their opponents are bluffing or are holding decent cards.
Playing poker well can help you improve your ego. The satisfaction when beating others can help mold your ego and can give you confidence when taking on more experienced players.
If you like to compete with others, poker might be the game you have been looking for. During the pandemic, most contact sports have been forced to cancel, so many of us miss competing with others. You don’t need to be in good physical condition to play a game of poker either.
There are plenty of poker tournaments both online and in casinos all around the world. Most competitions allow anyone to join. Just a once-off “buy-in” fee to enter the competition.
Most online poker sites allow you to organize your own private table so you can invite your friends to join. This is a fantastic option for those who want to compete with just their friends.