Big Ant Studios has become a leader in cricket games, going all the way back to Cricket 19, which was released on Steam in 2019. Now the developer and newly acquired publisher Nacon are getting ready to release Cricket 22, what they describe as the next evolution of Cricket as a video game. And, in keeping with Big Ant’s commitment to equality and equal representation, both the Men’s and Women’s games have been replicated across all of Cricket 22. So you can check out both your favorite male and female players as you play this time around. The game also has fully-licensed teams from Australia, England, The West Indies, New Zealand and Ireland.
Cricket is a game that is rising in popularity, although right now it seems confined to certain countries and geographic areas around the world. For example, a company called Nautilus Mobile created an Android and iOS mobile cricket game called Real Cricket. It quickly climbed the charts in India, where Nautilus is based, earning 50 million players in a very short amount of time.
And the gambling public also seems keen on placing wagers on their favorite teams, and to enjoy Cricket and other sports themed content. Many of worlds top online gambling destinations are offering casino rewards and free spins as a reward for players.
However, as of right now, the eSports world is still kind of cool on the concept of a Cricket-based league. The pandemic has certainly raised interest in eSports of all types, but Cricket has not yet benefited from that popularity. Perhaps a game like Cricket 22, which does seem extremely advanced, can raise further interest.
Driven by fan feedback, Cricket 22 also features a bevy of new innovations, including:
- All-new bowling and fielding controls; whether it’s a feisty fast bouncer, or the satisfying “snap” as you hurl the ball from the infield for a precision run-out, Cricket 22 features refined, tight controls that enable you to play your best game of cricket.
- A deep, narrative-driven career mode; you are in control on and off the field. You manage your training and press conferences, deal with injuries, and decide your path towards international glory!
- It’s the most accessible cricket game yet; New to Cricket? Cricket 22 makes it easier to get into the game than ever before, with a completely overhauled series of tutorials and first-time user experience. Cricket 22 is the most detailed simulation of the sport that Big Ant has ever created, and thanks to these tutorials we’ll have you out there batting and bowling like a pro in no time.
- An all-new commentary team; Cricket 22 brings a star-studded commentary team, featuring Michael Atherton, Ian Healy, Mel Jones, Alison Mitchell and David Gower. Every shot will be called with greater depth and analysis than ever before, and for the first time ever in a sports game, there will be an all-women commentary team, further deepening the representation of women in the Cricket 22 experience.
- The best-looking cricket ever; Cricket 22 takes full advantage of the capabilities of the latest generation of hardware. Not only does the game load with blinding speed, getting you into the action more quickly than ever before, it also includes a full suite of visual updates, including incredible real-time ray tracing elements, providing the most visually realistic game of cricket ever seen.
“The number of cricket fans that have been asking us about our next-generation cricket plans has been overwhelming,” Big Ant CEO, Ross Symons, said. “We’re incredibly excited by what we’re able to bring to the table with Cricket 22. This is our fifth cricket simulation title, and it really represents the cumulation of everything that we’ve learned on this ten-year (and counting) journey. We have the most passionate fans, and we can’t wait to get this into their hands.”
Russell James, ECB Sales & Marketing Director said, “we are thrilled to be partnering with Big Ant again for the hugely exciting Cricket 22 game. Cricket is a game for everyone and whether taking on the challenge of playing an Ashes Test or facing the best men’s and women’s white ball cricketers in the world in The Hundred, Cricket 22 has everything cricket fans could want.”
“Cricket Australia is proud to partner once again with Australian game developer Big Ant Studios to bring such a visually realistic video game to our passionate fans,” Cricket Australia CEO, Nick Hockley said. “The Ashes is one of the greatest rivalries in world sport and we can’t wait to bring the game of cricket to new audiences via Cricket 22.”
Release details and Early Access
Cricket 22 releases on November 25, 2021. Pre-orders on Steam, PlayStation and Xbox will have access to Cricket 22 THE NETS CHALLENGE from mid-October 2021, which gives fans early access to part of the Cricket 22 gameplay experience, including nets and training games, ensuring that by the day of release they’ll be ready to take on the best in the world.
In further great news, fans that buy the game on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will be able to upgrade for free when they purchase the new generation of hardware.
Cricket 22 for Nintendo Switch will be available in January 2022.